Monday, March 1, 2010

Grow Up

My friend’s parents have a neighbour who maltreats his wife. She has two kids for him but he doesn’t care... well his actions don’t show that he does. The wife has been bearing his crap until now. The Negro has lost his mind. Talks to his parents and in-laws disrespectfully and has gone to introduce himself to another family as a potential husband. For those who can’t read between the lines... he is planning to marry someone else! This is where I end this story because that’s all I know.

This is not my business. The guy is not my brother. He is not related to my family. He does not even know any one of my family members. So I made sure I paid attention to the things that concern me. I really did until yesterday!

I walked into my friend’s house to meet them having a discussion and the wife of this guy was sitting there as well. They were talking about the way the man has been treating the woman and asking her what she intends to do. Out of the blues, my friend’s mother looked at me and said...”Godwin, I didn’t know your people were like that. Or didn’t you know he is from your place?”
I thought for a second and said... “Ah! Mommy, it’s a personal thing. That’s who he chooses to be”. Then I went into the room to meet my friend.

As we grow, we make decisions as individuals that shape how we react to situations, circumstances and other people. Sometimes we are forced into our decisions but the truth is that there is always an alternative. May not be favourable but there is always an alternative...unless it’s out of your control!
We are who we are because of the choices we make and we should learn to be responsible for our actions because at the end of the day... You did it! Yes, you said yes to the guy. You went for the job interview and even did well enough to let the interviewer know that you wanted the job. You did it. You made the decision. Now be responsible and live with it and if you think it’s not good enough... sort it out!

Some of us don’t usually think about the decisions we make so we react while some others take time to think. These people are regarded as proactive people. Nonetheless, whichever category you find yourself, remember that you are responsible for your actions.

It’s a new week... you owe it to yourself and others around you to be responsible. Responsible for your actions and your words. The reason why we “grow up” is because we learn to “pass” the “tests” that life sets for us from time to time. These “tests” make us more experienced and more mature in dealing with situations. Unfortunately for some people, one can’t pay his or her way through this school of life... it’s either you “fail” or you “pass” and if you fail, that exam will repeat itself until you get things right... or you suffer. Simple!

Responsibilities as far as I am concerned differentiate those that are growing up or grown up from those that are not. Everyone grows older but not everyone grows up!

Be responsible. Grow up!

No comments: