Monday, March 1, 2010

I Think... You should try it

I woke up this morning and thought to my self “How can I make someone smile today?”

So, I got up, did all the regular morning activities and got on the road. My intention was to smile all day and probably “dash” some beggars money on my way to work or help a colleague do some of their work in the office, you know, something really nice.

Unfortunately, a lot of things happened this morning that made smiling very difficult. Like bike-men pissing me off by riding like Moto GP racers on tight Lagos roads, touts harassing everyone and hoping that they find a “mugu” to “chop”, getting to work and meeting a pile load of work even though I had worked all weekend. I don’t know about you but these things can smack the smile off your face. Even the beggars I planned to give money were annoying me.

"It’s Monday morning for God’s sake…" I thought to myself. I called a friend to have a laugh with him and fell dumb when heard him say “I just lost my dad” It hit me. I suddenly thought about loosing my father now, or my mom, or my brothers. I thought about what it would feel like to be in my friend’s position. Just the thought of loosing anyone I really care about broke me down.

Suddenly, I remembered I had not seen my mother in a while, my dad and I don’t live in the same state, my younger brother is in the University and far away from me, it’s been a while since I took my baby brother out, I have not spoken to my older brothers in a while. I felt a gap I needed to close up … immediately.

So, I called my family to let them know that I love them all. Bought my mother an Ankara, will be taking my baby brother to the movies during the weekend, called my dad to let him know that his son is doing just fine, called my older brothers to let them know I care and to my younger brother, I am sending money for his pocket to get a little fatter. lol!

There is a saying that “You never know what you have until it’s gone”. We probably won’t. But we can appreciate the things we have. Give your mother a call, holla at your father. Appreciate the fact that you have them. And if they are not here with us – God bless their souls, appreciate the fact that they made a conscious effort to make you what you have become today. Call someone important in your life and make them know they are important to you.

Why put roses on someone's grave, when you can put in their hands and see them smile in appreciation?

Give it a try and see how it feels... then please leave a comment. I really want to hear from you.

Cheers

2 comments:

Tealeigh said...

AMMA definately going to try this,we often take little miracles for granted,forgetting it's the little things that count. Tanx,Gtom

Godwin said...

Thanks Boss